Fri, Jun 23|
Classic Car Museum of St. Augustine
The Great Race Practice Rally at CCM Sponsored by Classic Eventage
The 2023 Great Race of antique vehicles begins in St. Augustine on June 24, 2023, and ends in Colorado on July 2, 2023. Classic Car Museum of St. Augustine will be hosting the Practice Rally on June 23rd from 12-3pm. Event free to public!
Time & Location
Jun 23, 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Classic Car Museum of St. Augustine, 4730 Dixie Hwy, St. Augustine, FL 32086, USA
About the event
The 2023 Great Race of antique vehicles begins in St. Augustine on June 24, 2023, and ends in Colorado on July 2, 2023. There will be multiple opportunities for residents and visitors to view many of these antique cars and we are so thrilled to be a part of it!!!
👉Friday, June 23: The Great Race Practice Rally at Classic Car Museum (12-3pm) sponsored by Classic Eventage!
👉Saturday, June 24: at Francis Field, the race cars will be on display from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Francis Field in St. Augustine to begin their 9-day rally to Colorado. The first car will start at 11:00 a.m., with cars following in one-minute intervals until all have left the field.
The Great Race is one of the most competitive automotive activities out there. It's a controlled-speed competitive endurance rally for vehicles that were built before 1975. The actual competition demands skilled driving and navigating, and the ability to keep their vehicle in top condition while traveling hundreds of miles a day for over a week. As in a more typical road rally, checkpoints along each route note the time each team passes, with points deducted for being too early or too late. To make things more challenging, GPS and computers may not be used, and the odometers are taped over. The participants use their speedometers and timepieces to make it to the checkpoints on time.
The original Great Race (listed at the time as the "Great American Race") occurred in 1983, starting in California and ending at the Indy 500. Sixty-nine pre-World War II vehicles set out from Knott's Berry farm and ended the rally at the Indy 500. At the time, with race fans already crowding the streets, safely moving the long-traveled and venerable vehicles from the highway to the race track was a challenge. Indy's 32-officer National Champion Motorcycle Drill Team escorted the 62 finishers to the racetrack.
While autos as new as those built before 1975 are eligible to enter the Great Race, many pre-World War II cars participate. A Velie built in 1911 won in 2011; a 1907 Renault and a 1914 Ford Model T both finished in 2012; and a 1909 Buick finished in 2019.
There are a number of classes of competitors in the Great Race:
- Grand Championship — Competitors who have won the event in previous years.
- Expert — One of the most competitive classes, this division is for those who have finished well in prior years, but have not ever won the Grand Champion title.
- Sportsman — These racers love to support the Great Race, and are usually filled with interesting cars.
- Rookie — First-time Great Racers
- X-Cup — For young people who have built a car specifically for the event.
June 23, 2023: Practice Rally sponsored by Classic Eventage followed by Lunch at Classic Car Museum of St. Augustine <<June 23rd, 12-3pm>>
- From 12 to 3p.m. on June 23, The cars will participate in a practice rally, with the first car slated to arrive at the Classic Car Museum at 11:55 a.m. with 119 more to follow in 1 minute intervals ending at 3pm. The cars will park at the museum and visitors are invited to walk around and view them. Food trucks will be on hand for those who wish to purchase lunch.
- Outdoor Event Free to spectators with general admission to museum : $15 + tax/per adult, kids under 12yrs are free!
- Event Hall will be open for seating those who wish to purchase lunch
- Classic Car Museum of St. Augustine 4730 Hwy US 1 South St Augustine
June 24, 2023: The St. Augustine Event at Francis Field 8am-1pm
- Admission Free
- The first car starts at 11:00 a.m.
- Francis Field, 25 West Castillo Drive, St. Augustine
Call us with any questions 9048064625
See 2023 route HERE